Concrete Canvas Ltd
Concrete Canvas Ltd manufacture a ground breaking material technology called Concrete Canvas that allows concrete to be used in a completely new way. It was originally developed for the award winning Concrete Canvas Shelters (CCS), a building in a bag that requires only water and air for construction. CCS is a flexible concrete impregnated fabric that hardens on hydration to form a thin, durable water proof and fire-resistant concrete layer. Essentially, it’s concrete on a roll. A CCS25 variant can be deployed by 2 people without any training in under an hour and is ready to use in only 24 hours. We employ around 30 people, mainly from the south Wales area, but with a few remote positions also.
What I did
- be clear about your personal reasons for starting the business, it is an adventure and you must enjoy it to succeed. If your motivation is financial it will be a difficult and joyless trudge
- choose the right partners. Starting a business on your own is very difficult, but a large team of founders also rarely works. Everyone must be fully committed from the start and able to contribute usefully. You cannot carry any dead weight. A start up technology business will usually either fail or be very successful, there is rarely a middle ground
- write a clear, concise and well-researched business plan, update it when the plan changes and do not be afraid to change it
- competitions provide an excellent opportunity to test your business plan, and generate seed funding and publicity, however you need to have your IP protection in place in advance and once you start you need to move quickly
- recruiting the right high quality people takes time and is expensive but the quality of a business is dependent on the people in it. You will also need to let people go who are not right, this is dangerous, difficult and painful