Significant sustainability improvements for a rail recruitment company in South Wales.
Based in Pontypridd, South Wales, Excell Rail is an independent recruitment services provider, specialising in the rail, construction and highway sectors and offering a safe, cost-effective, reliable and honest approach to recruitment.
Managing Director Daniel Dummer received specialist advice and guidance on sustainability issues from the Welsh Government’s Business Wales service, which led to significant improvements in the resource efficiency of the business.
- achieved 50% reduction of fuel consumption and carbon emissions
- developed 100% local and approved supply chain
Introduction to business
Founded in 2009 in Pontypridd by Managing Director Daniel Dummer, Excell Rail is an independent recruitment services provider, offering temporary and permanent recruitment solutions in the rail sector including industry professionals, on-track labour, safety critical protection and warning staff, amongst others.
Business Wales support
Daniel first approached Business Wales at a fully-funded HR & Sustainability Essentials workshop. Having received further sustainability support from a specialist adviser, Paul Carroll, Daniel signed up to the Business Wales Green Growth Pledge where he identified 8 key priority areas for the business and pledged 19 key improvement actions.
Following engagement with Business Wales, Excell Rail was able to:
- reduce costs and increase resilience
- enhance their marketing and tendering profile by demonstrating good sustainable practices
- sustainability support and commitment to the Business Wales Green Growth Pledge to undertake sustainability improvements
- 50% reduction in fuel consumption and carbon emissions on transport
- developed 100% local supply chain to help the local economy and reduce mileage as well as the carbon footprint generated by supply chain logistics
- mobile unit to check staff health and well-being, including drug and alcohol testing
Future plans and ambitions
Daniel is further looking to grow the business and is receiving Business Wales support with tendering, workshops and digital marketing/social media through Superfast Business Wales.
If you want to read more success stories of how Business Wales has helped other people like you to start or grow their businesses, visit https://businesswales.gov.wales/case-studies or follow @_businesswales / @_busnescymru on Twitter.