Thomas Carroll Group PLC
Thomas Carroll Group Plc is a multi-discipline risk consultancy covering insurance, financial services, health, safety and employment law. Established in 1972 the company is Chartered in both its broking and financial services arm as well as being an OHSAS 18001 accredited health and safety company. The company has offices in Caerphilly, Swansea and Brecon. As an independent and proudly Welsh company it understands that their people are crucial to the company’s success.
Working in partnership with the Welsh Government, Business in the Community recently spoke to Julie Walters, Associate Director who said, “The company was recently ranked 85th in the Sunday Times Top 100 Best Small Company to work for. Our mission is to recruit and retain the best people and invest significantly in their personal development and wellbeing.
In striving for business excellence we believe dedicating time and resource to our people is the way to achieve this standard. In return employees feel valued with increased morale and a sense of belonging to the organisation. The stability and consistency of our employees adds to customer satisfaction, retention of clients and new business wins.
Each individual has an annual appraisal and a training needs analysis with a training programme set for any skills or knowledge shortfall. Studying for professional qualifications is actively encouraged and supported as follows:
- paying for all study materials and fees
- organising study groups with internal experts providing coaching and mentoring on a range of subjects
- providing exam leave and monthly study leave
- awarding up to £2,000 on completion
- where required, eg for IT NVQs, time is set aside to complete work with Assessors
Delivery of training is through Broker Assess (an online training facility) and external trainers who provide technical and soft skills sessions. Attendance at Chartered Insurance Institute and Financial Services lectures and seminars/workshops on other subjects eg accounts and marketing is encouraged.
The company has a People Development Group and has built a suite of training courses available to employees on topics such as Management, Finance and Sales:
- all managers have undertaken an ILM accreditation 3 day management course and senior employees have attended the Manchester Business School and Cardiff Business School to complete Executive training and MBAs
- every employee is able to have a “one to one” session with the Chairman to discuss their own development and express their views to the Board of Directors
- the company also runs an effective mentoring and coaching programme
The business has benefitted in many ways from the policies we have adopted:
- in the Sunday Times Best Companies questionnaire over 75% of employees felt positive about personal growth and over 90% felt positive about the company as a whole
- 98% of clients renewed their business in 2012
- Chartered status has been awarded for 3 parts of the business
- in the last year staff turnover was less than 5%. This leads to profitability, not just because of the cost efficiency, but because clients benefit from the continuity of a dedicated team and educated professionals handling their business
- the company was ranked 6th in the UK for ‘Giving Back to the Community’ with over 80% of employees feeling positive about supporting charity and the local community
- the development and training process saw 3 employees being promoted to the Board in 2012
- one employee recruited as a receptionist in 2004 has been promoted through the company to Account Executive after a programme of development and training and has won British Insurance Brokers Association UK Young Achiever Award”