The Destination Vision is to develop Blaenau Gwent county borough as a vibrant place to explore – for residents and visitors. The plan sets out a visitor-focussed way forward for tourism development in the area.
The Welsh Government Strategy for Tourism 2013 – 2020 Partnership for Growth provides the framework for development activity within Blaenau Gwent county borough council.
The Plan’s Objectives
What we are hoping to achieve through the action plan:
- An increase in tourist numbers.
- Creation and safeguarding tourism related jobs.
- Improving the visitor offer within Blaenau Gwent county borough council.
- Increasing visitor satisfaction.
- Improving the image and awareness of Blaenau Gwent county borough council and its key sub brands as destinations.
- Improving the overall working relationship between tourism operators within Blaenau Gwent county borough council.
- Increase the usage of tourism products by Blaenau Gwent county borough council’s internal market and the immediate markets of the Valleys, Cardiff and the Brecon Beacons.
- Build on strong products such as heritage, walking, leisure, cycling and encourage complimentary developments.
- Capitalise on improvements to the A465 and on private sector investments.
- To further spread business outside traditional summer season and the established visitor pattern, for example educational trips.
- Optimise the role of events in attracting visitors to the area and encouraging repeat visits.
- Encourage sustainable tourism development.
- Encourage sector-wide buy-in of carefully planned and targeted marketing of the tourism offer.
Blaenau Gwent plans include developing a system to provide an event listing service across the county and increasing the promotion of the existing and potential new events.