This Destination Management Plan sets out a visitor-focussed way forward for tourism development in the area. The Destination Vision is to develop Caerphilly county borough as a sub regional, overnight destination for visitors choosing to stay in the southern Wales region.
Caerphilly Destination Management Plan aims to:
- Increase tourist numbers - both day visitors and staying.
- Increase tourism-generated income within the county borough, tying in with the strategic vision of delivering long-term smart and sustainable economic growth.
- Create and safeguard tourism related jobs.
- Improve the visitor offer within Caerphilly county borough council.
- Increase visitor satisfaction.
- Improve the image and awareness of Caerphilly county borough council and its key sub brands as destinations.
- Improve the overall working relationship between tourism operators within Caerphilly county borough council, and in particular increase referral between products within the county borough.
- Increase usage of tourism products by Caerphilly county borough council’s internal market and the immediate markets of the Valleys, Cardiff and the Brecon Beacons.
- Build on strong products such as heritage, walking, leisure, cycling and mountain biking and encourage complimentary developments.
- To further spread business outside traditional summer season and the established visitor pattern, for example educational trips.
- Optimise the role of events in attracting visitors to the area and encouraging repeat visits.
- Encourage sustainable tourism development.
- Encourage sector-wide buy-in of carefully planned and targeted marketing of the tourism offer.
Stakeholders in the area compiled a list of planned projects that have a potential beneficial impact upon the visitor and/or the tourism sector as a whole. This list forms the basis of the Action Plan and includes - developing plans for visitor information and displays, developing the conference market, and working with partners to develop itineraries and linkages between heritage sites.