The Tourism Strategy and Destination Action Plan contribute directly to Cardiff Council's aim of establishing Cardiff as a world-class business and visitor destination.
The Cardiff Destination Action Plan draws together current and planned activities and will ensure that all partners are working towards the same goals.
The Destination Action Plan (DAP) identifies the following objectives, taken from the Tourism Strategy:
- develop Cardiff's reputation as an urban activity destination
- improve range of family-friendly attractions
- build on the known interest from visitors in Cardiff's heritage
- develop a regular, distinctive events programme to attract off-peak overnight visits
- further develop the cruise and maritime market
- improvements to transport infrastructure and transport options for visitors
- develop welcome and information services for visitors
- progress development of an international conference and convention centre
- improve accessibility awareness among trade and information for the public
- develop digital information services through DMS
- first impressions and facilities for visitors
- develop Cardiff as a sustainable and distinctive destination
- commission and undertake surveys to monitor trends, visitor feedback, and identify gaps and opportunities
- promote and market Cardiff and the city region [Cardiff and Co]
Cardiff work with partners to attract and host international sporting events to Cardiff, for example, European football finals and test cricket.
The plan also identifies a need to recruit and train volunteers as hosts for events specifically for 2012 but with a legacy of a pool of experienced, trained volunteers for future events.