1. The benefits of entering awards
Entering awards requires time and effort, but they can be fun and exciting. There are many great awards opportunities, be they tourism specific like our own, or wider business awards. Use your favourite search engine to see how many. But it is by selecting the award schemes most closely aligned to you, your business and the messages you wish to convey, that you will gain the maximum value.
The investment can bring benefits both internal and external beyond a trophy and immediate recognition. Entering and achieving a result in the right award will:
- Help you reflect on your strength and weaknesses. The application and judging process can be daunting, but setting down your achievements and getting feedback from judges can be an informing process
- Raise profile and brand awareness. Entrants should always strive to embrace / take advantage of the PR and profile opportunities created.
- Provide recognition of your hard work. They can bring a positive and celebratory buzz, differentiate you from your competitors and provide an independent seal of approval and quality
- Boost workplace morale (especially if they take part). Employees enjoy working for successful companies and winning, or being shortlisted for, an award gives you the opportunity to recognise your employees for their contribution to the business – and give you an edge in the recruitment market.
- Reassure existing customers that they have made a good choice in choosing a business that has been recognised with a prestigious award.
- Help persuade a prospective customers to go with your business. An award win can set you apart from your competitors.
- Provide opportunities to build contacts. You can meet and network with other quality award participants, and potential customers at awards events.
What awards might you enter? If your a finalist, or crowned a winner do let us know!
2. Accolades for attractions
To recognise high quality visitor experiences, new accolades are awarded to attractions that go the extra mile to create an enjoyable and memorable experience for their visitors. The accolades are available to attractions that are part of the Visitor Attractions Quality Scheme. They are awarded by using a scoring system based on a biennial assessment by Visit Wales. There are four accolades: Gold award for the top scoring attractions; Hidden Gem; Best Told Story, and; Quality Café award.
These accolades reward attractions who go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure people enjoy their visit. The accolades reflect the wide variety of attractions on offer in Wales including museums and galleries, farm attractions, historic houses, theme parks, gardens, churches, country parks, boat trips and action packed activities.
3. Accolades for serviced accommodation
The Visit Wales Gold Award rewards outstanding quality, exceptional comfort and hospitality in the serviced sector in Wales. The award also recognises businesses that have been successful in a Mystery Shopper exercise to test their customer interaction skills.
Further information about Gold Award properties can be found on the Visit Wales consumer marketing website (external link).
4. National Tourism Awards for Wales
The National Tourism Awards for Wales are a biennial competition open to all Visit Wales graded businesses which celebrates the best in Wales Tourism.
The 2015 Awards Ceremony was held at the Vale Resort, Hensol, Vale of Glamorgan on Wednesday 25 March 2015.
Over 300 applications were received and 58 businesses and individuals were shortlisted across 14 categories and sub-categories. The overall winners were decided by a panel of independent judges and included mystery visits by industry experts.
Look out for information about the 2017 Awards, in autumn 2016.
5. Visit Wales award wins
Here are our recent accolades:
- November 2014 - Team Visit Wales and iCrossing were winners of the Multichannel Marketing category, at the prestigious The Digitals Awards. A serious win against serious competition including Thomas Cook Media Partnership for Brand USA.
- September 2015 - Visit Wales Marketing Team won the Communication and Marketing category of the Welsh Government Awards
- October 2015 - Visit Wales DTBF project was a Regio Stars 2015 finalist, in category 1 Smart Growth: Unleashing SME growth potential for a digital economy. Regio Stars are the Oscars of the EU programmes