This plan sets out a visitor-focussed way forward for tourism development in the area. Its main output is a Destination Action Plan which sets out practical steps that if taken forward jointly by all stakeholders, can make a positive difference to tourism in Torfaen.
The plan’s objectives:
- Increase tourist numbers, both day visitors and staying.
- Increase tourism-generated income within the county borough, tying in with the strategic vision of delivering long-term smart and sustainable economic growth.
- Create and safeguard tourism related jobs.
- Improve the visitor offer within Torfaen.
- Increase visitor satisfaction.
- Improve the image and awareness of Torfaen and its key sub brands as destinations.
- Improve the overall working relationship between tourism operators within Torfaen, and in particular increase referral between products within the county borough.
- Increase usage of tourism products by Torfaen’s internal market and the immediate markets of the Valleys, Monmouthshire and the coastal cities.
- Build on strong products such as heritage and retail, walking and leisure cycling and encourage complimentary development.
- To further spread business outside traditional summer season and the established visitor pattern, for example educational trips.
- Capitalise on the opportunities provided by the Digital Valley concept.
- Support the role of events in attracting visitors to the area.
- Encourage sustainable tourism development.
- Encourage sector-wide buy-in of carefully planned and targeted marketing of the tourism offer.
Target the group travel market, developing itineraries/packages to increase profile in trade campaigns, Increase trade bookings at accommodation and attractions.