If Rod Webster is unavailable please contact Ann Sudder.
- University of Reading
BSc (Hons) 2.1 in Microbiology with Chemistry, 1972
Employment (most recent first)
- WDA Know-How Wales, A4B regional project development manager, then IS.
- R&D Applications Manager, Marketing Division of ICI Colours & Fine Chemicals, then Zeneca Specialties, Manchester.
- Principal Research Officer, Dept Biology & Protein Science, British Leather Confederation, Northampton including technology transfer to Denmark.
- Head of Microscopy & Microbiology, DSIR New Zealand Leather Research Association.
- Senior Microbiologist, Public Analysts for Oxfordshire & Berkshire, including part-time lecturing to M.I.Biol. students in microbiology at HE college and technology transfer to Kenya.
Member of Professional Organisations
- Chartered Biologist, Society for Biology
- Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society.
- Oil sector: developing biocides with KemaNobel, Sweden for Saudi Aramco & BP North Sea, plus production & sale of assay kits
- Food microbiology, river pollution & microbial ecology (microalgae, protozoa, bacteria), effluent treatment quality, sterility testing of pharmaceuticals, veterinary bacteriology (holder of Contagious Equine Metritis testing & certification licence from Horserace Betting Levy Board), veterinary haematology & parasitology, fungal attack on polyurethanes,.and wool microbiology.
- R&D collaborations: with Massey University Biotech Dept, Cranfield (keratin degradation) and Leeds (dyeing assists) universities.
- New product development for speciality chemicals in the leather & textiles markets (2 patents, 1 licence), including publicity & launch campaigns: .Ti/Zr/Al chemistry, continuous high pressure injection of processing chemicals, colourless reactives, biopolymers.
- Collagen biochemistry; animal skin histology; enzyme biotechnology; & whole cell microbial biotechnology. Diagnostics such as immunogold labelling, ATP (first university to use DuPont luminometer in UK), analytical microscopy techniques (fluorescence, IR, SEM, including first industrial application of PIXE microprobe at Oxford University).
- Creative / critical thinking
- Technology marketing
- Negotiation skills & relationship management (particularly for industrial- academic links).
0300 062 5417, 07747 693 859
Specialist region covered:
Isle of Anglesey