Why Richard would be an effective mentor
- With nearly 50 years’ experience in many disciplines of agriculture, Richard is well equipped to help mentor other ruminant livestock farmers to become more efficient through grassland and forage management.
- Richard has practical experience of working on beef, sheep, dairy and mixed arable farms but his main specialism is multi cut silage which Richard says has increased profits on a number of livestock farms. Richard believes that understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the system and how it effects your farm is the key.
- As well as practical farming experience, Richard spend three years researching at the National Institute for Research in Dairying between 1976 and 1979 which gave him a clear understanding for the need for in depth analysis to prove efficacy.
- Following this, he worked with ICI Fertilizers where he gained vast knowledge of grassland and crop production.
- In 1985, Richard was part of a small team who introduced the first effective silage inoculant (Ecosyl) to UK farming which necessitated close working relationships with a number of farmers.
- Richard also has management experience which he gained whilst working as the Farm Manager for Yeo Valley Farms between 1990 and 1991. This intense period gave Richard experience in managing people whilst also growing the dairy herd from 300-500 cows. This also involved building a new dairy complex to house and milk the additional cows.
- Richard also worked for BOCM PAULS for 25 years in a variety of roles, all designed to help in the efficient production of milk, beef and lamb.
- An experienced mentor, Richard has great interpersonal skills and knows how to listen to people’s concerns whilst appreciating the importance of confidentiality.
Qualifications / achievements / experience
Lancashire College of Agriculture HND 1971-74
Contract Farming Services 1974-76
National Institute for Research in Dairying 1976-79
ICI Agricultural Division 1979-90
Farm Manager Yeo Valley Farms 1990-91
ForFarmers (BOCM PAULS) 1991-2017
Agricultural Mentor 2017- present day
TOP TIPS FOR BUSINESS SUCCESS
“Maximise the potential of your farm”
“Pay attention to detail”
“Know your production costs”