*Teifi is not currently accepting mentoring applications. If your enquiry is urgent, please contact Gwenno on 01970 631414.*
Why Teifi would be an effective mentor
- Teifi has worked in the food & farming industry since leaving school, beginning in the dairy industry with Unigate Foods at Newcastle Emlyn creamery, and then moving to a product development role, before returning to the family farm.
- Under the management of Teifi, and his partner Jennifer (who is also a mentor), the family farm has grown from 22.5 acres to 100 acres through purchase and renting.
- Teifi has concentrated on diversification since the outset and believes farm retailing was the solution to making the farm viable.
- The farm shop business, Llwynhelyg Farm Shop, has enabled Teifi to stay on the family farm and has led to many successes in the Wales True Taste awards and UK local business awards. They are currently holders of ‘The Best Independent Retailer 2016 – Wales’ award.
- Teifi is very passionate to use the skills and knowledge he has gathered from his experiences to help other farming businesses become more sustainable and better the rural economy of Wales
- Teifi is bilingual and is comfortable working through the medium of either Welsh or English.
- Teifi is proficient in using social media and other methods of media (tv/radio) bilingually to promote and comment on food & farming.
Current farm business
- 50 acres owned, 50 acres rented
- Farm shop enterprise specializing in Welsh food and drink
- Home grown potatoes
- Small scale vegetable and herb growing
- Grass for grazing, silage and hay
- 50-60 herd of Cattle
Qualifications/ achievements/ experience
- Cheshire College of Agriculture: Dairy Tech
- 34 years’ experience in running farm shop
- LEAD course in management training
- Judge at the Great Taste Awards, Welsh products
TIPS FOR BUSINESS SUCCESS
"Always be prepared to learn new things and keep up to date with new innovations & technologies."
"Be a good listener, in order to gather up handy tips and ideas from others who have already tried them and found they work!"
"Be a life long learner - it's surprising how new innovations quickly change the farming of today."
"Try to have more than one option to minimize the chance of failure. There is usually an alternative way forward to meet your objectives."