As we are all currently following social distancing guidelines due to the coronavirus, businesses may not be able to plan like last winter but thinking ahead and preparing for what the weather may bring can make a real difference.
There are simple steps all businesses can take to ensure that they are prepared for adverse weather such as:
- signing up for flood warnings
- installing flood protection systems
- checking your insurance policy covers weather damage to your property
- having a business continuity plan
- making copies of your insurance documentation and key contact information
- preparing a grab bag with essential items which can be easily accessed should the premises be evacuated
Businesses are also encouraged to be aware that harsh weather conditions could leave staff unable to travel to work and therefore should evaluate the risks and provide solutions to being understaffed during this time.
For further information on preparing for emergencies please visit the GOV.UK website.
The Weather Ready website also has information on winter preparations to cope with severe weather.