Welsh Government

For support or business advice

03000 6 03000

Brexit – EU citizens living and working in the UK

The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

These agreements mean that most citizens from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland will need to apply to stay in the UK.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 (in the event of a deal) or 31 December 2020 (in the event of no deal). If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status, depending on the length of time you’ve been permanently resident in the UK.  

How do you apply?

Applications for settled status are made online via the Home office web site. The application process involves 3 checks for identity, UK residence and criminality.

To verify your identity, you will need to scan your biometric passport or identity document with an Android and iPhone 7 (or higher). If you do not have an Android or iPhone 7 (or higher) you can go to a document scanning centre to get your passport or ID document scanned.

The following locations in Wales offer ID document scanning:

  • Bridgend
  • Caerphilly
  • Cardiff
  • Ceredigion
  • Conwy
  • Gwynedd
  • Pontypridd

For further information please visit the GOV.UK website.

For information on the support available to EU citizens living in Wales take a look at the EU Citizens Immigration Advice Service website.

Share this page: 
Conversion pixel