The UK Government’s Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund Smart Sustainable Plastic Packaging Challenge seeks to dramatically reduce plastic waste by 2025.
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, has up to £37 million from the fund to invest in demonstrators and early-stage projects investigating ways to reduce, reuse or recycle plastic packaging.
There are 3 competitions that aim to support a more circular economy for plastic packaging in the UK and to fund projects helping to meet the targets of the UK Plastics Pact, which include for 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable.
They are for:
- early-stage projects deadline for applications is midday 1 April 2020
- demonstrators deadline for applications is midday on 19 February 2020
- feasibility studies for demonstrators deadline for applications is midday on 19 February 2020
Projects should work across 1 or more themes:
- materials innovation, for example new recyclable polymer materials, biopolymers, making it easier to use more recycled content
- design innovation, for example design for recyclability or reuse
- technology or process innovation, for example reuse processes, collection, sorting and separation, mechanical recycling, chemical recycling, anaerobic digestion
- business model innovation, for example reusable packaging systems, zero packaging, behavioural change
For further information please visit the Gov.UK website.