Welsh Government

For support or business advice

03000 6 03000

Driving in the EU after Brexit: driving licence exchange

The rules for exchanging UK driving licences will change when the UK leaves the EU.

While the UK is a member of the EU, you can exchange a UK driving licence for a driving licence from an EU or EEA country. You should do this if you live and drive in an EU or EEA country.

If the UK leaves the EU without a Brexit deal, this licence exchange arrangement may stop in some EU and EEA countries. To be able to continue driving you may have to re-take your driving test in the EU or EEA country where you live.

Some countries will continue the licence exchange arrangement after Brexit.

For further information please visit the GOV.UK website.

Share this page: 
Conversion pixel