Welsh Government

For support or business advice

03000 6 03000

Driving in the EU after Brexit: international driving permits

The rules for international driving permits (IDPs) in EU countries are changing.

Until the UK leaves the EU, UK licence holders who live in the UK can use their UK driving licence when visiting all EU and EEA countries. For example, when driving on holiday or on a business trip.

Driving in the EU and EEA from 31 October 2019

If the UK leaves the EU with a Brexit deal, UK licence holders will continue to be able to drive using their UK driving licence while visiting all EU and EEA countries and the UK government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences.

Until then, UK driving licence holders will need an IDP as well as their UK driving licence to drive when visiting some EU and EEA countries.

The UK Post Office issues 3 types of IDP to UK licence holders who are UK residents:

  • 1926 IDP
  • 1949 IDP
  • 1968 IDP

The type of IDP you need depends on the country you will be driving in and in some circumstances you may need more than one IDP.

To check which IDP you need and for further information please visit the GOV.UK website.

Share this page: 
Conversion pixel