If you move goods between the UK and countries in the EU, you need to follow new customs and tax rules.
Your business will be affected by the new rules if you:
- buy goods from an EU seller and bring them into the UK
- send goods you’ve sold to a buyer in an EU country
- haven’t exchanged money but need to move equipment that you use for your business, between the UK and the EU.
HMRC can help you in several ways.
- apply for the SME Brexit Support Fund
- watch videos on HMRC's YouTube channel to familiarise yourself with the new customs processes and what you need to do before you trade goods with the EU
- use the trader checklist to make sure you’re familiar with the new rules that affect you
- use updated guides to understand the new customs and VAT requirements when moving goods between the UK and EU countries
- sign-up to the Trader Support Service if your client’s business is moving goods between GB and Northern Ireland and use their suite of educational products – including online training modules and webinars for support with the Northern Ireland Protocol
- ask and get answers to specific questions about HMRC processes for importing or exporting, by visiting customer forums
- watch webinars and videos from other government departments to support you
- you can also sign up to HMRC weekly email updates on 'News and information about importing and exporting with the EU', providing hints and tips for businesses like yours, getting used to the new rules for importing and exporting
For further advice call the Customs & International Trade helpline on 0300 322 9434, for more help with importing, exporting or customs reliefs.
The helpline is open from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 4pm at weekends. You can also send your questions or webchat.