If you play recorded music in public or at your business (including background music on a CD, radio or music channel) then you need to get a licence called ‘TheMusicLicence’.

Who needs a licence?

You usually need a licence to play live or recorded music in public - this includes in:

  • shops
  • offices and factories
  • hairdressers and beauty salons
  • cinemas and theatres
  • hotels and guesthouses
  • restaurants and cafes
  • pubs, bars and nightclubs
  • sports grounds and other sporting facilities (such as bowling alleys)
  • gyms and other health facilities
  • bingo halls and casinos
  • social clubs and members’ clubs
  • churches and halls
  • public transport

You do not need a licence to play royalty-free music.

How much it costs

The cost of a licence varies. It’s based on things like:

  • the venue where you play the music
  • how the music is used

Contact PPL PRS to check if you need a licence and get a quote by email customerservice@pplprs.co.uk, telephone 0800 0720 808, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm or visit the GOV.UK website for further information.



Share this page

Print this page