Welsh Government

For support or business advice

03000 6 03000

International road haulage – cross trade rules if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31 October 2019

If you operate vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating above 3.5 tonnes on international journeys, you need a number of licences and permits.

You must have a vehicle operator licence to carry your own goods, and other people’s goods, both in the UK and on international journeys.

The other licences and permits you need depend on which countries the vehicle will travel to or through.

EU Community Licences

You can apply for EU Community Licences if you make international journeys for hire or reward within the 28 EU countries and 4 other countries. 

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31 October 2019 you can continue to use your EU Community Licence until 31 December 2019. You would not need any extra permits to transport goods in EU countries until 1 January 2020.

For further information please visit the GOV.UK website.

Why not take a look at Business Wales Brexit Portal to find out how to prepare your business for Brexit.

Share this page: 
Conversion pixel