In 2018 we are celebrating Wales’ outstanding coastline, and inviting visitors to discover new epic experiences all around our shores, with special events and attractions throughout the year.
It builds on the success of the
- Year of Adventure 2016 which focused on adrenaline fuelled, literary and culinary adventure
- Year of Legends 2017 which celebrated Wales’ past, present and future
Year of the Sea 2018 continues our work challenging the perceptions of Wales by promoting
- our world-class products, events and experiences,
- our people, places and practices
...in fact everything that makes Wales a distinctive place to visit.
Year of the Sea presents us with a fantastic opportunity to promote Wales as a 21st-century coastal destination. With our coastal communities and epic shores - from coastal, to lakeside, to riverside - positioned front and centre in our marketing.
2. Year of the Sea campaign
The aim is to celebrate Wales’ epic coast – to make Wales a stand-out UK destination in 2018.
Visit Wales’ ambitious marketing program continues for Year of the Sea. All marketing activity will be centered around 4 seasonal themes.
Each theme will
- include a true multi-platform campaign
- feature a cutting edge television advert following on from the Year of legends advert
- include photography, film, print ads and digital in all our key markets including the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Germany and the USA
The messaging during Year of the Sea will be Our Epic Shores which gives us good reason to include inland lakes and broad rivers in our campaigns.
Get behind the campaign by sharing content and tagging #FindYourEpic and #GwladGwlad
For further information including how you as a tourism business can get involved see the Year of the Sea Guide.
Year of the Sea themes:
|January – March
|April – June
||Coastal Capital and Communities
|July – September
|October – December
3. Year of the Sea Roadshows - October 2017
Find out about the latest plans for our 2018 marketing theme including the campaign creative and content calendar for the year.
- touch on the 2019 theme - Year of Discovery
- share the latest news on The Wales Way campaign around the main routes across Wales
- communicate more about the Wales brand and what it means for you
- share practical tips and advice on aligning your own branding to the wider Wales brand
Local tourism industry guest speakers will share their experience of applying for funding to help them link into the Year of the Sea theme.
The events will start at 10:00 am and finish at 4:30 pm, and includes a light lunch.
Location: Venue Cymru, Promenade, Llandudno LL30 1BB
Location: The National Library of Wales, Penglais Road, Aberystwyth SY23 3BU
South West Wales
Location: Stradey Park Hotel & Spa, Llanelli SA15 4HA
South East Wales
Location: St Donat’s Art Centre, St Donat’s Castle, Llantwit Major CF61 1WF
To allow as many businesses as possible to attend, please restrict numbers to no more than two places per business/organisation. Remember, you’ll need to complete a separate booking for each person.
If events become over-subscribed, we reserve the right to accept only single registrations from each business/organisation .