The Windsor Framework, agreed by the Prime Minister and European Commission President, replaces the old Northern Ireland Protocol, providing a new legal and UK constitutional framework.
It delivers free-flowing trade in goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland by removing any sense of the border in the Irish Sea for goods staying within the UK. These goods will travel as normal through a new green lane without red tape or unnecessary checks, with the only checks remaining designed to prevent smuggling or crime.
To give businesses and individuals time to prepare, the implementation of the agreement will be phased in, with some of the new arrangements for goods, agri-food, pets and plant movements introduced later this year and the remainder in 2024.
For further information please select the following links:
- Windsor Framework unveiled to fix problems of the Northern Ireland Protocol - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- The Windsor Framework - sector explainer - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
In the meantime, the current temporary standstill arrangements will continue to apply:
- Trading and moving goods in and out of Northern Ireland - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Sending parcels to and from Northern Ireland - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Apply for authorisation for the UK Trader Scheme if you bring goods into Northern Ireland - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)