First Minister, Mark Drakeford MS
We can now look more confidently to the future and plan to start gradually removing the alert level two restrictions. We are today setting out a plan to return to alert level zero. As we have done previously, we will start with relaxing protections outdoors.
We will make one immediate change – from tomorrow (15 January 2022), the number of people who can be present at outdoor events will rise from 50 to 500. This does not include those participating in a team sport event, meaning 500 spectators can be present
If conditions allow, the alert level two restrictions will continue to be removed in a phased approach.
From Friday 21 January 2022, all outdoor activities will move to alert level zero:
- We will remove limits on the number of people who can take part in outdoor activities.
- Crowds will be able to return to outdoor sporting events.
- Outdoor hospitality will be able to operate without additional reasonable measures, such as the rule of six and table service requirements.
- The Covid Pass will continue to be required for entry to larger outdoor events.
Provided the downward trend continues, from Friday 28 January 2022, we will move to alert level zero for all indoor activities and premises.
- Nightclubs will be able to re-open.
- Businesses, employers and other organisations must continue to undertake a specific coronavirus risk assessment and take reasonable measures to minimise the spread of coronavirus.
- The general requirement of 2m social distancing in all premises open to the public and workplaces will be removed.
- The rule of six will no longer apply to gatherings in regulated premises, such as hospitality, cinemas and theatres.
- Licensed premises will no longer need to only provide table service and collect contact details.
- Working from home will remain part of advice from the Welsh Government but it will no longer be a legal requirement.
- The Covid Pass will continue to be required to enter larger indoor events, nightclubs, cinemas, theatres and concert halls.
All other alert level zero rules, including those for self-isolation for all those who test positive for Covid and requirements to wear face-coverings for most public indoor places will remain in force after 28 January 2022.
By Friday 11 February 2022, we will have returned to the three-weekly review cycle. A review will carried out by 10 February 2022.
All remaining protections in place at alert level zero will be reviewed and any changes announced on 11 February 2022.
For further information visit GOV.WALES