Whether you are a large, medium or small business, disruptions due to the weather can happen anywhere at any time. Taking time to plan and prepare your business can save you time and money when something untoward happens.
There are simple steps all businesses can take to ensure that they are prepared for adverse weather such as:
signing up for flood warnings
installing flood protection systems
checking your insurance policy covers weather damage to your property - make sure you have suitable insurance, the Association of British Insurers provides helpful information, Commercial property insurance is particularly relevant
having a business continuity plan
making copies of your insurance documentation and key contact information
preparing a grab bag with essential items which can be easily accessed should the premises be evacuated
Businesses are also encouraged to be aware that harsh weather conditions could leave staff unable to travel to work and therefore should evaluate the risks and provide solutions to being understaffed during this time.
For further information on preparing for emergencies please visit:
- Stay safe in a storm - Met Office
- Natural Resources Wales / Flooding
- Winter weather advice | GOV.WALES
- How to plan ahead for flooding - Check for flooding - GOV.UK (check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk)
- Preparing for emergencies - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Travelling in storms, rain and strong wind - Met Office