The free travel scheme started on 26 March 2022 and will continue until 31 March 2024. Arrangements for after 31 March 2024 are being considered.
The scheme provides unlimited travel on:
- the majority of local bus services
- Transport for Wales rail services across Wales
- bus and Transport for Wales train services that start AND finish in Wales
The scheme is available to refugees travelling to Wales searching for a safe haven.
The scheme is available for all refugees and those seeking international protection in Wales, in line with our Nation of Sanctuary vision on production of one of the following:
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) marked that someone is a ‘Refugee’, has ‘HP’ or ‘Humanitarian Protection’, or includes the words ‘Afghan’, ‘Ukraine’ or ‘Hong Kong’;
- personally addressed letter issued by the Home Office / Home Secretary confirming anyone of the statuses listed in the above bullet
- valid Ukrainian, Afghan or Hong Kong British National Overseas passport.
For further information please select the following link Free bus and train travel advice for refugees | GOV.WALES