Creative Wales Production Funding is a discretionary scheme delivered via the Economy Futures Fund, where public funding is used to support the growth of Wales as a destination for the production of world class content.
The funding will support Welsh based production and games development companies who are looking to develop productions intended for international audiences. It will also be used to attract high-end inward investment companies capable of boosting the local economy and leaving a significant skills legacy in Wales.
Creative Wales is prioritising the development of a content production sector that provides equal and diverse opportunities for a long term, skilled employment base. The funding will be targeted at companies that are implementing the latest practices in sustainable production, have wellbeing of cast, crew and employees at the forefront, whether they are freelancers, contractors or permanent staff.
We also prioritise content that shows the best of Wales to the world, in culture, language and geography.
Through this funding, we will:
- Boost production by stimulating growth in the number and variety of productions made in Wales
- Maximise the economic impact of supported productions to local economies and the supply chain in Wales
- Improve employment opportunities in the sector through increased and co-ordinated opportunities for training and development
- Develop audiences by improving access to Wales made production and content at home and internationally
- Develop Wales’ reputation as a destination for international productions and co-productions, supported by our world-class talent, crews, facilities and unique locations
- Support the development of a skilled, diverse workforce
Through this funding, Wales will take advantage of the global explosion in demand for content, by developing a sustainable long term industry. We will ensure that career development within fair working environments is achievable for all working in the sector, from freelancers to crew, cast and permanent staff. This funding allows us to maintain a pipeline of projects which is in turn essential to industry stability.
Who is eligible to apply?
You can apply for Creative Wales Production Funding if you meet ALL the following eligibility criteria;
- Your main business activity is Film or TV (scripted/non scripted), Games or Animation
- All or a significant part of this production will be made in Wales
- You have a fully considered finance plan with all other funding in place
- There is a skills/upskilling element to the project
- Your project demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusivity and sustainability
- You can evidence commercial viability (distribution deal, commission, broadcaster etc.) associated with this project
- There is a minimum of 12 weeks until project start date (principal photography for TV & Film projects) from project enquiry *
- Your company/management team have a demonstrable track record of delivery in the genre, and at least one commercial release within the last 3 years from application
Please note – a funding decision may take longer than 12 weeks and is subject to a fully completed application.
How to apply
Please use our eligibility checker to determine if this funding is right for your project: https://fundchecker.businesswales.gov.wales/creativeproductionfund/