Why Ioan would be an effective mentor
- Ioan has an in-depth knowledge of grant schemes that farmers and smallholders can take advantage of, including the new Small Grants scheme (Environment), with the application window opening on May 23, 2022.
- Ioan is an approachable, friendly, conscientious and hard working person with a passion for farming and the environment. He describes himself as a people person and thrives on working with others. Ioan’s professional life and practical experience will help you find the right solutions for your farm. He is also a first language Welsh speaker.
- Being brought up in a rural farming community has given Ioan an in depth understanding of the farming community, while working within the environmental sector over the past 13 years has given him knowledge of the pressures that affect the agri-environment in Wales. He has given advice and guidance on a range of farm yard issues including slurry stores. He has also worked with farmers to improve their soil and nutrient management, helping them to make considerable financial savings by improving management of manures and fertilisers. During this time Ioan has developed highly tuned knowledge transfer skills and he is passionate about using those skills in order to help others develop sustainable, profitable farming enterprises
- Substantial environmental work has been carried out on the farm under the Glastir Advanced scheme. The work includes many kilometres of hedgerow restoration and double fencing, ditch casting, tree planting, fencing streamside corridors and restoration of traditional buildings. The capital work has improved the efficiency and profitability of the farm by enabling better utilisation of grassland, due to new fences and improved swards achieved through growing root crops and reseeding
- Ioan has a deep understanding of agri-environment schemes and has participated in Glastir Advanced and Glastir Small Grants. He can help guide you through both, and help you to get the most out of any scheme and avoid any pitfalls. He can also discuss woodland planting and woodland restoration grants. With increasing emphasis on water quality and legislation, Ioan can also help mentor you through the various rules and upcoming legislation.
- Ioan’s current job as a Team Leader for Natural Resources Wales involves managing a team of five Senior Reserve Managers who look after the National Nature Reserves across 5,000 hectares of South West Wales
- Ioan has worked closely with the YFC, NFU Cymru, FUW and Farming Connect to deliver training to young farmers at demonstration days and farm walks, as well as delivering presentations to groups of young farmers on environmental issues
- Ioan’s interpersonal skills enable him to build a rapport and work well with people quickly. He has mentored staff for more than seven years and enjoys watching people grow and develop
- Ioan has been the head of holding of the family farming business since April 2014, which gives him an invaluable insight into the realities of managing farm businesses on a day to day basis. He has also helped develop a small farm shoot at home and has experience in selecting appropriate cover crops, using cover crops both for game shooting and sheep grazing. He has worked closely with smallholders in the past, helping them get started in conservation.
- As a mentor under the YESS scheme Ioan enjoyed working with farming families to help develop their businesses
- Ioan can provide support on the new agricultural pollution regulations.
Current farm business
- Brynsegur extends to 230 acres which includes 70 acres of broadleaf woodland and 30 acres of outlying land that is a designated SSSI
- The farm is let for summer grazing for cattle and tack sheep in winter
- Six acres of root crops grown annually, used as game cover for the small shoot run on the farm, and then sold as a standing crop for a sheep farmer to finish store lambs
- Glastir entry and advanced schemes, used to improve farm infrastructure and environment
Qualifications/ achievements/ experience
- National Diploma in Countryside Management and NVQ Level 2 in Gamekeeping Gelli Aur 1997-1999
- BSc Hons. Countryside Management, Aberystwyth University 1999-2002
- Farm Conservation Adviser for the Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group (FWAG Cymru) 2002-2005
- Catchment co-ordinator, Natural Resources Wales 2005-2015
- Conservation Team Leader for NRW 2015 – onwards
- Young Entrants Support Scheme mentor 2016
- Harper Adams University BASIS FACTS - MBPR (Fert)
TOP TIPS FOR BUSINESS SUCCESS
“Make sure you take advantage of any help and funding that’s out there.”
“Know where you want to see yourself in the next five years and keep an open mind to any possibilities.”
“With changes to the way that farmers will be rewarded for looking after the environment under the new payment scheme, now is a good time to start thinking about the environmental opportunities on your farm and how to make the most of them.”