Sarah Hammond and Robert Williams
Glyn Arthur Farms, Llandyrnog, Denbigh
Trial: Improving flock performance
Glyn Arthur Farm near Llandyrnog runs a flock of 650 breeding ewes and 200 ewe lamb replacements made up of Cheviot x Texel x Welsh mountain ewes. Most of the land is under a no input scheme and covers a total area of 160 ha.
The project will focus on flock performance to increase lambing percentage, lamb performance pre and post weaning and improve the overall health of the flock. Through the project, Joseph Angell BVSc MSc DipLSHTM PhD MRCVS from Wern Vets will provide input and guidance to improve reproductive performance and overall health of the flock. A key part of the project will focus on genetics and refining selection guidelines to implement on the farm.
The main areas to focus on are:
● Improv the scanning percentage by 20%>
● Improve rearing percentage by at least 10% which would equate to around £2500 increased profits
● Identify health issues which could affect flock performance - e.g. liver fluke, parasites and trace element deficiencies.
The project will also contribute to the Sustainable Land Management outcomes including:
● maintain resilient ecosystems on farm
● contribute to high flock health and welfare
● continue to protect natural landscapes