Co-investing in business Research, Development, and Innovation for sustainable growth
SMARTCymru supports Welsh businesses to develop, implement and commercialise new products, processes and services.
So far we have supported over 390 Welsh businesses to carry out over 540 projects, creating and building on their capability to innovate.
We can assist your business at every stage of your Innovation Journey, with a phased approach to supporting Research and Development activity;
- 'Feasibility' - to investigate the viability of your innovative ideas
- 'Industrial Research' - to undertake practical research to develop proof of concept
- 'Experimental Development' - to show the results of your research in operation
- 'Exploitation' - to exploit your new product or process successfully
SMARTCymru can also assist you to bring in external expertise or equipment through our Innovation Voucher.
Our Innovation Voucher Plus offers assistance to implement a new process.
Decarbonisation Feasibility Support
SMART Cymru is specifically looking for innovative ideas that aim to:
- reduce the carbon intensity of the primary energy used by a product, process, service or activity OR
- reduce the carbon impact of consumption and/or the sequestration or use of carbon by the product, process, service or activity.
The funding can cover up to 70% of feasibility costs and can only be used for revenue, not capital costs.
This funding is supported by the Welsh Government and the European Regional Development Fund*. The maximum grant is £50,000 and it is completely non-repayable.
How to access our support
Support is delivered by a team of highly experienced Innovation Specialists who will provide advice on the options available, to make the most of your innovative ideas. Your Innovation Specialist will guide you through each stage of the application.
To get started you can contact the Business Wales Helpline on 03000 6 03000
Funding for the SMARTCymru project is provided by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).