In the latest of our blog series, we talk to one of the inspiring businesses we work with, to find out more about their journey, ambitions and top tips for business success.
Under the spotlight is Do-IT Solutions. Founded by Professor Amanda Kirby and Dr Ian Smythe, Cardiff-based Do-IT Solutions works with organisations, providing services to support people who may be neurodivergent – for example, learning difficulties and disabilities. As experts in learning and disability, Professor Kirby and Dr Smythe have delivered large-scale research programmes, published peer-reviewed papers and books and delivered training at Masters level to more than 50,000 professionals.
Here, Prof Kirby shares what she's learned on her business journey so far.
Tell us about Do-IT Solutions
What are your proudest moments in business so far?
We have already won a Barclays Regional Social Entrepreneur Award at a ceremony in Bristol in August 2019. The award recognises how we are changing the profiling industry in a positive way.
If you were starting again, what would you do differently?
It’s difficult to pinpoint the different decisions we would have made. Given that we feel we are very much pioneers in this field, our business journey has been one of exciting discovery. And it’s been an exhilarating journey so far!
What advice and guidance would you give other businesses starting out?
- Do your groundwork. Our knowledge in our field comes from years of research, so it’s grounded in experience. We are proud of that and think it gives us a head-start in the sector.
- Be ambitious. If you have a great product that you believe in, then you can take it to market and make it a success.
- Seek advice. We are experts in our field, but that doesn’t automatically transfer itself to entrepreneurship. That’s why Business Wales AGP’s support and help has been so important to our development. Starting a business is a learning experience in itself, so be open to taking help from outside.
- Build a team around you who believe in your product. Getting recruitment right is key to building a successful company.
- Enjoy it! Yes, it’s hard work, yes it takes a lot of hours. But starting a business is something that is fun and satisfying. If you’re not enjoying it then maybe you should reflect on your experience so far and where you are going with it.