Ask yourself, “Why do I want to start up this social business?” If it is for personal financial gain then you should consider setting up a sole trader business where you own it and take the profit from it.
Social businesses are invariably set up to meet a need – to supply something that is missing in the fabric of the community. Ask yourself:
- what is that need, exactly?
- what is the evidence for it?
- do other people recognise the need?
- can I quantify it?
- what difference would it make if that need was met?
- do I still want to do it?
- do I really have the energy, the commitment and the capacity to see it through?