In 2018 we are celebrating Wales’ outstanding coastline, and inviting visitors to discover new epic experiences all around our shores, with special events and attractions throughout the year.
It builds on the success of the
- Year of Adventure 2016 which focused on adrenaline fuelled, literary and culinary adventure
- Year of Legends 2017 which celebrated Wales’ past, present and future
Year of the Sea 2018 continues our work challenging the perceptions of Wales by promoting
- our world-class products, events and experiences,
- our people, places and practices
...in fact everything that makes Wales a distinctive place to visit.
Year of the Sea presents us with a fantastic opportunity to promote Wales as a 21st-century coastal destination. With our coastal communities and epic shores - from coastal, to lakeside, to riverside - positioned front and centre in our marketing.
To find out more about the Year of the Sea and how you can get involved, view the Year of the Sea Guide.
2. Year of the Sea campaign
The aim is to celebrate Wales’ epic coast – to make Wales a stand-out UK destination in 2018.
Visit Wales’ ambitious marketing program continues and is centered around 4 seasonal themes.
- includes a true multi-platform campaign
- features a cutting edge television advert following on from the Year of legends advert
- includes photography, film, print ads and digital in all our key markets including the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Germany and the USA
The messaging during Year of the Sea is Our Epic Shores which gives us good reason to include inland lakes and broad rivers in our campaigns.
Get behind the campaign by sharing content and tagging #FindYourEpic and #GwladGwlad
For further information including how you as a tourism business can get involved see the Year of the Sea Guide.
Year of the Sea themes:
|January – March||Epic Seascapes|
|April – June||Coastal Capital and Communities|
|July – September||Coasts Alive|
|October – December||Connected Coast|
3. Practical marketing tools for your business
Marketing tools are available to help create your own Year of the Sea marketing activities for your business, including:
- Year of the Sea guide
- promotional wording
- a collection of coastal images
If you need to get in touch or have questions about Year of the Sea please:
4. Year of the Sea Roadshows
We shared our 2018 Year of the Sea marketing plans with you at the autumn roadshows.
During the roadshows we updated you on:
- our marketing and campaign activity, a look back on progress to date with Year of Legends, a look ahead to Year of the Sea 2018 and how you can get involved, and an early introduction to Year of Discovery 2019
- the latest news on The Wales Way campaign
- the Wales brand and what it means for you – with practical tips and advice on branding and marketing