We are continuing with our Year of Outdoors campaign across all markets. Here is a summary of the main activity taking place over the next few weeks.
- In London we will be promoting Wales on the huge Waterloo motion screen for a week starting on the 24 February. We will also be on screens at Liverpool Street station and Victoria with edits of our main TV ad being used to inspire and encourage commuters to book a break in Wales.
- There will be a Wales special wrap on the Metro on 25 February, with advertorials appearing in the Evening Standard and a press partnership with the Times to coincide with St David’s Day and Wales Week in London.
- We hope that you will have seen the Wales TV and Video on Demand campaign running since January. Look out for some key spots on Channel 4 on 1 March.
- On the digital side we are adding to our activity with more geo-targeting at the end of February to coincide with Wales Week in London. We are also relaunching our You Tube advertising within greater London to capitalise on events and activities happening across the city during that week.
- Over the autumn of 2019 and the new year of 2020 we wanted to build on our previous in-Wales campaign and continue the high visibility and recognition that Wales is now receiving.
- To inspire Welsh audiences, we chose five passionate local people from across Wales and developed content packages to showcase their passion and love for Wales. The five content packages included an article on visitwales.com, a film and social posts.
- The content packages were supported with a paid social media campaign to drive traffic and engagement from an in-Wales consumer audience. Their aims are to:
- increase shoulder season day trips and short breaks in Wales,
- celebrate, build momentum and generate awareness within the Year of Outdoors
- There were two phases of the campaign: mid-November – December and January – February
- Earlier in January, to launch the Year of Outdoors to in-Wales audiences, we offered the chance for 80 lucky people to experience a one off gig in a slate cavern on 29 February. A consumer facing prize draw was set up which we promoted through our social channels to win tickets to the gig with Alffa, Bryde and Kizzy Crawford. It’s taking place at Bounce Below in Blaenau Ffestiniog, merging the lines between outdoors and indoors. Combining Wales’ distinctive terrain with a mix of traditional and modern sounds, all coinciding with the significant media attention that the Wales music scene is getting at the moment. The aim is to generate positive PR for Wales and showcase a range of new experiences over the next year.
- The Irish tourism campaign aims to drive awareness and consideration for Wales as a holiday destination for spring and summer 2020 (1 –3 night’s short breaks).
- Running to 31 March 2020 it focusses on ABC1s and audiences with specific interests:
- cycling and mountain biking,
- walking and hiking,
- festivals and events,
- heritage and history.
- The digital element of the campaign launched with the Year of Outdoors main hero video presented across YouTube and social channels.
- TV was launched with a kick-off spot during the Ireland v Wales rugby match on 8 February. Wales branding was also placed on the pitch side screens during that match. A joint campaign with the ferries will start from April onwards.
- Visit Wales will be attending ITB Berlin 2020 – the world’s leading travel trade show, from 4-8 March. This annual international tourism exhibition is held in the Messe, Berlin.
- For the past 50 years ITB Berlin has provided a global marketplace, networking and meeting place where tourism destinations, attractions, tour operators, online booking portals, hotels, airlines, airports, cruise companies and many other service providers from over 180 countries can present their products and services.
- On the stand with us this year will be Cadw, Go North Wales and partners representing The Wales Way.
- We are also doing various key partnership campaigns between now and April with
- P&O Ferries,
- TUI Wolters Reisen,
- Wikinger Reisen,
- Boundless Resisen.
- In addition to our digital campaign, which includes Video on Demand and digital display advertising, we are also working on advertorials in key German travel/lifestyle and Food & drink publications and magazines, here’s a summary of what’s planned:
- ADAC Magazine (January/February edition) – the German equivalent of Automobile Association magazine, we have a double page advertorial spread on The Wales Way.
- Geo Saison (February edition) – this is a high end women’s travel and lifestyle magazine, we have a single page advertorial on Year of Outdoors
- Outdoor Magazine (February edition) – a single page advertorial on Year of Outdoors
- BEEF Magazine (March edition) – a double page spread on food and drink in Wales
- Travel special in Schoner Wohnen Magazine (May edition) – double page spread in this high-end travel and lifestyle magazine