To develop Mynydd Maen and surrounding commons into a regional centre for rural innovation, best practice and skills training. A Study has been commissioned to; Building on the SE Wales Upland NRMP Plan for SE Wales, consult with commoners to create costed and integrated site specific proposals.
- Audit what is already being done and by whom and develop heather and bracken management proposals, including innovative use of bracken and heather waste.
- Identify diversification / cost saving opportunities (e.g. utilising gorse for fodder, bracken for bedding), micro hydro and other renewable potential.
- Identify ‘rural craft’ opportunities based on current skills and aspirations. If external assistance is required, identify potential collaborators.
- Outline a plan for a trial of different habitat management techniques in different areas a) for the benefit of other hill farmers and b) to provide education opportunities – bracken and heather.
- Create a plan for ongoing repair of dry stone walls through a training approach.
- Identify pond creation opportunities to improve stock management, enhance habitat and deter off roaders.
- Produce costed, practical proposals for bog restoration and repair. viii. Produce proposals for effective commons signage and interpretation
- Funding amount:
- Funding source:
LEADER Local Development Fund
Project Area Contacts:
Need to find a local access group or lead body for an area?
Please have a look at our project contact map.Find area contacts