1. What do they do?
The Development Bank of Wales funds businesses that they think will benefit Wales and its people. By providing sustainable, effective finance even where options seem limited, they bring ambitions to life and fuel possibilities for people, businesses and communities in Wales and beyond.
It can invest from £1,000 to £5 million at a time in businesses based throughout Wales from a number of investment funds supporting Welsh businesses in the following ways:
- Micro loans from £1,000 to £50,000 for start up growth funding
- loans from £1,000 - £10 million
- equity investment from £50,000 to £10 million
- seed finance for pre-revenue tech start-ups
- equity investment for early stage and mature technology-based businesses
- finance up to £10 million
- property development loans for residential and commercial projects in Wales
- coinvests alongside a range of other funders including banks, crowd funders, business angels and other investors or lenders
The Development Bank also has a streamlined fast track business loan scheme for micro loans between £1,000 and £50,000 for Welsh businesses that have been trading for more than 2 years.
Generally, repayment terms range from 1 to 10 years. Interest rates charged are based on a business’ individual circumstances and are fixed for the term of the loan.
2. Applying for investment
The Development Bank can only help businesses based in Wales or willing to relocate. It can support both B2B and B2C with a focus on micro to medium businesses although non SMEs can also apply.
If your business is eligible you'll need a business plan that demonstrates a strong business case for investment. The amount of detail in your plan depends on the size of investment you apply for:
- up to £50,000 - a 2 year business plan
- over £50,000 - a business plan of up to 3 years
How to apply
You can apply through an online application form. Supporting documents such as business plans or bank statements can either be attached to your application or sent in at a later date.
3. Why apply for funding?
Development Bank of Wales:
- can often help businesses that have failed to secure finance elsewhere
- loans and equity available
- dedicated, local account managers
- recommended by 99% of new customers*
- finance for start-ups and established businesses
- support across sectors, B2B and B2C
- a strong network of co-investors and advisers
- ongoing relationship management and support
4. Common application mistakes
Applications for investment can be unsuccessful for the following reasons:
5. Contact details
Tel: +44 (0) 800 587 4140
1 Capital Quarter, Tyndall Street, Cardiff CF10 4BZ
Unit 12, The Beacon Centre for Enterprise, Dafen, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
St David’s House, New Road, Newtown, SY16 1RB
Technium OpTIC, Ffordd William Morgan, St Asaph Business Park, St Asaph, LL17 0JD
You can follow Development Bank of Wales at the following: