Support to export guide
We are in a period of uncertainly as we wait to see what deal will be agreed between the UK and the EU following the implementation phase. Whatever the outcome, the Welsh Government has a comprehensive range of support mechanisms to help you on your export journey. Our support can help you with:
Exporting can pay dividends if you invest in sound planning and preparation. Some of the questions you should consider before embarking on your export journey are:
- Is my business geared to serve a bigger market?
- Which market should I tackle first?
- Do I have the resources in place to support my export plans?
- Are my products or services ready for my target markets?
- Do I have the necessary “know-how” to confidently go into new markets?
- How can I find out about shipping, international regulations, taxes and import laws ... as well as all of the other things I need to know?
We will work with you on a one-to-one basis to help you find the answers to all these questions and more.
The support is free of charge and specially tailored to meet your specific needs and can cover the following areas:
- Developing your export strategy
- Selecting the best market for you
- Defining your route to market or in-market partner
- Financial considerations such as pricing, payments, currency and tax, to name a few
- Getting to grips with export procedures, regulations and logistics
To help get you ready we also provide fully subsidised workshops on a range of topics, including:
- Market overviews
- Smart exporting
- Managing distributors and agents
- Understanding Incoterms 2010 ® Rules
We can also assist you to access other sources of help such as UK Trade and Investment, the Chambers of Commerce and the Institute of Export.
How to find opportunities
When you’re confident that you’re ready, you’ll need to start looking for the opportunities in your chosen market. We know that’s easier said than done because a difference in culture and language can make it difficult to find – and communicate with – the people you want to do business with.
Using our global contacts, we can help you to connect with your ideal partner or customers. We have access to experts on the ground in foreign markets – people who speak the language, understand the business customs and know how best to approach your customers. We contribute 75% of the cost of eligible projects.
Our worldwide network can:
- Provide business information at the local level
- Advise on local trading conditions and regulations
- Identify and contact potential customers, agents or distributors
Arrange face-to-face meetings with interested parties and even accompany you if you need that level of support
Getting to market
Modern communications make it easier and cheaper than ever to get in touch with contacts all over the world.
However, it still holds true that people like to do business with people, and you will find that there’s no substitute for meeting your client face to face.
We can help you get to your market.
You could join one or more of the many trade missions that we run each year. Our missions provide opportunities for you to engage in game-changing discussions with potential agents, distributors and even new customers; and our choice of destinations reflect current international developments, to give you the best possible chance of finding new business.
We also exhibit at global trade-shows, enabling businesses to showcase their products and services on the world stage; and in some substances we will even contribute towards the costs of your own exhibition or international business development itinerary.