Managing assets: Intellectual property, licences, registration

Areas to consider:

Having the right type of intellectual property protection helps your business to stop people stealing or copying: 

  • the names of your products or brands 
  • your inventions 
  • the design or look of your products 
  • the things you write, make or produce. 

Copyright, patents, designs and trademarks are all types of intellectual property protection. You get some types of protection automatically, others you must apply for. 

You should consider whether your social business needs to formally protect its name, logo or activities and seek appropriate intellectual property cover. 

Further guidance:

Intellectual Property: An Overview 

Certain activities need to be licensed. Many licenses are issued by your local Council including food premises licenses, premises licenses, temporary events licenses and alcohol licenses. 

You may also require licenses for certain trades, to play music and to make copies of material under copyright laws. 

Use the UK Government’s license finder tool to work out what licenses you will need to have in place when setting up a new activity.

Further guidance:

UK Government: License Finder 

Certain activities are regulated and require your business to be registered and inspected. This includes care services regulated by Care Inspectorate Wales and financial services (for example credit unions) regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Further guidance:

Care Inspectorate Wales: Providing a Care Service 

Social Care Wales 

Financial Conduct Authority