Why I would Martine be an effective mentor
- Since 2006, Martine has run her own small business, providing farm administration support for farm businesses wanting help with processing VAT returns, preparing for Farm Assurance inspections, SAF applications and other online record-keeping.
- She is also a skilled ICT tutor, providing this service for farmers in their own homes through the Farming Connect skills and mentoring programme. This involves all aspects of ICT, including specific farming software, accounts support and general assistance with computer skills and business management.
- She has a very positive, practical outlook and is very organised, so able to offer support and structure to any person seeking confidential guidance, reassurance and mentoring whilst making sure all their goals are realistic and obtainable.
- A good communicator and listener, Martine’s organisational experience, knowledge, patience and honest approach are all skills that have helped many farmers in Wales – including those who struggle with difficulties such dyslexia and dyspraxia –operate both confidently and efficiently.
- Can also provide support with the completion of the Control of Agricultural Pollution workbooks to help you meet the record keeping requirements of the Water Resources (Control of Agricultural Pollution)(Wales) Regulations 2021.
Current farm business
- Tenant farmers on 100-acre council holding near Glasbury on Wye
- Commercial herd of 10 beef cattle
- Commercial flock of 250 sheep
- Pedigree flock of Texel sheep
- Runs own farm administration business and delivers ICT tutoring alongside her management role with a local agri-supplies company
- 2006 to date: Qualified ICT tutor for Farming Connect and owner of a farm administration support service for farmers
- September 2015 – July 2018 : Hereford & Ludlow College, Hereford AAT L3 (Advanced Diploma) in Accounting and currently finishing exams in AAT L4 Professional Accounting, which covers all aspects of accounting (including computer software training)
- November 2001 –June 2003: Despatch and Returns Assistant – Brecon Pharmaceuticals, Hay
- September 1999 – September 2000: The Young Apprenticeship Scheme, trained as a shepherd on a 180-acre holding near Brecon - responsible for managing a 500 sheep flock, including shearing and dipping and all aspects of running and maintaining a farm. NVQ Level 3 in Sheep Management, bronze seal in shearing, NVQ Level 2 in shearing.
- March 2019 – Martine is a registered trainer for Xero accounting software, and a competent trainer for other accounting software and farming programmes, specialising in learners with dyslexia and dyspraxia.
Top tips for business success
“I always encourage farmers to think outside the box and to try and find a more manageable and less stressful way of finding solutions to their problems.”
“Once you start to believe in yourself, you will be able to approach things with a more positive ‘can-do’ attitude, perceived barriers will cease to be insurmountable, and your goals will suddenly be achievable!”
“You can if you think you can! If you think you can, you will!”