Tynyberth Farm Facts
- Jack Lydiate currently farms Tynyberth Demonstration Farm in partnership with his parents, John and Lynne.
- Jack has returned to the farm business, following a period of undertaking farm contracting work. He intends to enter a Farm Business Tenancy at Tynyberth within the next 12 months and fully appreciates the demands in establishing a business within a volatile period for the industry.
- Tynyberth is a 500-acre organic hill farm.
- The homestead comprises 200 acres of improved land (20 acres has been reseeded in the past four years) and 300 acres of unimproved hill land
- There is also 15 acres of woodland on the farm.
- The flock consists of 600 improved Welsh ewes put to Improved Welsh and New Zealand Texel rams.
- There are also 140 replacement ewe lambs.
- Ewes are lambed indoors from mid-March and are fed baled silage and concentrates (18% protein).
- All lambs are sold as stores in October.
- 60 acres of grass is cut for baled silage annually
- Just under half of the bales made are sold