Why Gareth would be an effective mentor
- Gareth is a keen advocate of both personal and business development, saying that his more active links with Farming Connect have been a huge influence on both in recent years.
- Being an Agri Academy Rural Leadership Programme candidate in 2017 first alerted him to the importance of succession planning. Without it, he says families put themselves under immense financial pressure with huge implications for mental health and family relationships and he’s keen to share his experience with others who need to ‘start the succession conversation’
- As an Agrisgôp leader in Radnorshire, Gareth believes he has the mentoring and facilitation skills necessary to listen and provide guidance based on his own experiences as a farmer and business person
- He is also a keen member of a Farming Connect discussion group and chair of both his local graziers’ association and show committee. He credits the last two with the confidence he gained through the Agri Academy and is keen to encourage others to tap into all support available
Current farm business
- 220 acre grassland farm, plus 75 acres of grassland rented on a fixed tenancy
- All land is located in a Less Favoured Area (LFA)
After leaving Llandrindod Wells High School, Gareth attended the Welsh Agricultural College in Aberystwyth before returning home to farm full time.
TOP TIPS FOR BUSINESS SUCCESS
- “Be positive and look for solutions not problems.”
- “Talk to someone who has been through it.”