Why Caroline would be an effective mentor
- Having for many years successfully run multiple rural business ventures including food, accommodation, outdoor activities, and her own rural consultancy - which involved handling her own finances, personal development and staffing resources, Caroline understands well the importance of having realistic expectations and has significant personal experience of what it takes to set up and manage a successful farm diversification venture.
- Caroline’s innovative and solution-focused attitude supports both start-ups and well-established high-profile businesses. As your mentor, she’ll encourage you to set up systems which enable you to deliver long-term and high-value outcomes, and want to help you achieve both your personal and business goals.
- An excellent communicator and listener, she is just as much at home sitting around the farm kitchen table, talking to you on the phone or online, or ‘walking the walk’ during a farm visit.
- She has excellent ICT skills and being self-employed enables her to be flexible with her working hours and ability to travel throughout Wales.
- Formerly head of agri-food for one of the UK’s leading agriculture consultancies, Caroline is passionate about marketing, so select her as your mentor and you’ll soon be swept up by her enthusiasm and knowledge of this all-important element of promoting your farm business or diversified enterprise.
- Caroline is a specialist agri-food consultant who set up and has run her own successful Agri-Food Consultancy since 2018.
- BSc Hons in Environmental Science (Glyndwr University)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Leading Change (Aberystwyth University)
- Professional Member of the Institute of Agricultural Management
- Past Global Mentor for Women in Food and Agriculture
- Worshipful Company of Farmers Challenge of Rural Leadership, Duchy College
- Winner of Prince Countryside Fund Rural Business Start Up Awards
- Past National Young Farmer of the Year
Top tips for business success
“Do your market research, check out the competition, decide who your customers will be and how best to reach them.”
“Stay ambitious and focused. Make sure your business strategy is sound and your financial expectations are realistic.”
“Stay true to who you are – that’s your ‘unique selling point’ – play to your strengths rather than trying to sell something you are not truly passionate or knowledgeable about.”