Why Rachel would be an effective mentor
- Rachel is dedicated to improving our environment and promoting business and economic growth. Her background in sustainability, farm emergency plans and risk management give her key skills to pass on to anyone who would like help in this area.
- Rachel has her own farm business ventures and is also a part-time instructor in the family business – a long-established land-based training and assessment company that provides customised courses on a wide range of topics. These include managing livestock, handling agri-related plant and machinery and environmental and quality management. She is also the contracts manager for her husband’s forestry and highways contracting company.
- Rachel lives on the family beef and sheep farm, in addition to managing two of her own enterprises, calf-rearing and beekeeping. She also handles all the marketing, website and social media for the family’s caravan and camp site.
- A qualified instructor, Rachel has over the last ten years, delivered Lantra’s pesticides and farm-related health and safety training courses. She has many qualifications ranging from NEBOSH Health and Safety and Environmental Management to telescopic handling and from business planning to project management. She is also a qualified tree inspector.
- Much of the training delivered by Rachel, her husband and father-in-law, is delivered by farmers to learners who need to comply with legislation but it also means they will know how to operate as safely and efficiently as possible.
- Rachel helps run all management and financial aspects of the business which in addition to training, involves environmental maintenance, agricultural contracting, arboriculture and civil contracting. Her role involves marketing, tendering, site surveys, Health & Safety packs, auditing contract documents, accounts, organisation and managing contracts.
- Rachel, a mum to four, is passionate about helping others learn, and often finds her trainees value the opportunity to discuss issues they find challenging. Her own experience of being a busy wife and mum, running both her own enterprises and working as a part-time instructor has given her a wealth of experience which she’s happy to share.
Current farm business
- Small camping/caravan park
- 5 beehives, hoping to increase year on year
- Bsc (Hons) Agriculture with Countryside Management, Aberystwyth University
- Rachel has numerous business training qualifications from accredited organisations including Lantra, NEBOSH, IOSH, City & Guilds NPTC, Agored Cymru, BSI etc
- Qualified professional tree inspector
- 20-plus years of experience in contract management for Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental Management
- Partner and trainer in family’s land-based training and assessment company
Top tips for business success
“Step back from your day-to-day routines, make the time and effort to talk and listen. It always helps to learn how others cope with any challenges you might be facing.”
“Work hard, be thorough, read the spec!”