Rhiwgriafol Farm Facts
- Rhiwgriafol Demonstration Farm is run by Rhidian Glyn in partnership with his wife, Elen Glyn.
- Both partners currently work full-time off the farm.
- The farm business has been gradually built up over eight years, having started with seven acres and 15 ewes.
- Rhiwgriafol is a 530-acre hill farm, taken on in 2014 on a ten-year Farm Business Tenancy.
- The land comprises 290 acres of unimproved hill land and 230 acres of improved grassland.
- There is also 15 acres of woodland on the farm.
- The flock comprises 900 improved Welsh ewes and 200 replacement ewe lambs.
- 600 ewes have been put to a Welsh ram and 300 put to a New Zealand Suffolk.
- In 2016, scanning results were 130%, with the aim of rearing 120%.
- Twins are lambed indoors from mid-March and fed grass silage, oats and concentrates.
- Singles are lambed outdoors and fed oats and concentrates through a three in one feeder.
- Lambs are finished off grass, rape and turnips and sold through local livestock markets.
- Inputs are kept to a minimum.
- Rhidian contract reared 31 dairy heifers last year, averaging 0.7kg/day in daily liveweight gains.
- This year the farm will hope to rear 50 heifers on contract.
- Heifers are reared on a strip grazing system and silage only diet during the winter when they are housed for three months.
- 25 acres cut for big bale silage.
- Plan to reseed 20 acres into grass and rape.