Ffrith Farm, Treuddyn, Mold, Flintshire
Focus Site Project: Building a farm destination experience around existing resources
The project will consider using existing resources, developing the land adjacent to the shop, and fitting new enterprises in with the labour demands of the farm. Growing sunflowers and pumpkins requires careful management to achieve production and clearance of the crop to meet the short harvest window. However, they can be easily managed alongside current routine farming activities, and in this instance, will require limited operational sales input due to having the shop on-site.
The project will:
- Explore choice of varieties of sunflowers and pumpkins, considering colour and size required for a PYO setting.
- Develop areas around the shop for the pumpkin and sunflower Pick Your Own.
- Focus on weed control and providing the correct nutrient balance for the crops, recording any disease issues.
- Consider how to build additional biodiversity into the existing farming activities, for example, encouraging more wildlife and pollinators, using fewer chemicals.
- Engage the public and local community through the use of social media and using existing networks/connections, such as schools, community groups and public-facing groups.
- Provide educational material to help inform the public about mainstream farming and the benefits of animals to soil fertility and holistic farm management.