Llwyn Goronwy, Llanrwst, Conwy
Focus Site Project: Evaluating the benefits of milk recording in a spring block calving herd
The aim of the project is make better use of data by recording all the cows individually. This will facilitate better herd management decisions in order to improve whole herd performance by;
- Analysing yield/cow (kilogrammes of fat and protein) to identify the most efficient cows based on KgMS/Day. In addition incorporating liveweight will allow selective breeding decisions based on KgMS/KgLW.
- Culling persistent high cell count cows to ensure bulk milk remains in the premium bands
- Identify Johnes cows and cull as required, and isolating at calving to ensure calf is protected from infection.
- Investigate how milk recording data can be better presented to spring block calving herds.
- Establish optimum cow size and weight for Llwyn Goronwy farm in accordance with the farm’s infrastructure.
Improving the way information is presented by NMR will be essential for improved uptake of the service by block calving herds. This project will investigate whether there is scope to improve the way that data is presented to farmers.