Food and drink businesses: working with the EU

What you need to do as a food and drink business to work with the EU.

For more information visit:

The EU Transition Portal ('Cross Border Trade')

More information on trading with the EU, including rules of origin, and on trading with Northern Ireland, can be found on the EU Transition Portal ('Cross Border Trade').

Defra EU Rules of Origin Business Guidance

These guidance documents are of an explanatory and illistrative nature. Legislation takes precedence over the content of these documents and should always be consulted.

EU Settlement Scheme

European citizens make up a significant number of the Welsh food and drink workforce, therefore we urge all businesses to support their EU employees in making an application to the EU Settlement Scheme.

For more information visit:

Brexit is likely to impact your business whether you trade solely in the UK or import / export. We recommend you plan for change. Advice on business preparation for Brexit and a self-assessment tool is available.

We strongly advise food and drink businesses to read in detail about the many changes which will occur on the day that we leave the EU. Failure to prepare and make the required changes may put your business at severe risk.

Food and drink businesses can access tailor-made self-assessment and advice. To request a diagnostic by the Cywain project, email:

An advisor will then arrange a visit to complete the diagnostic. This will aid your business resilience and ensure that all your business areas are considered before Brexit. Available here.

Up to date information is available at  and here, with additional guidance from HM Revenue and Customs.